The casino is the 2nd largest tenancy of the shopping centre, ranging over 3 floors and holding a final capacity after phase 2 of 2000 people (1400 at phase 1), therefore becoming the 3rd largest casino in the UK.
The internal space was provided by the Landlord for fit out by the tenant. The nearly year long fit out construction of phase 1 contains the most up to date M&E technologies to achieve a very good/excellent BREEAM rating. The space is designed to reflect a Las Vegas style casino, while ensuring all British standards are complied with. The project contains a triple height entrance foyer, 2 bars, over 45 flat screen TVs, 2 beer cellars, 2 post mix rooms, 2 catering style commercial kitchens, roof mounted plant and plant pod, cash desk and secure areas, management offices, VIP areas, 1 restaurant, a stage/live band area and a large gaming area split over 2 floors capable of housing 100+ person poker area, 140 slot machines, 24 gambling tables, sports betting section and 80 electronic gaming terminals.
• Client: Global Gaming Ventures
• Main Contractor: Phelan Construction
• Client M&E Services Designer: BSE 3D
• Design and Build M&E Contractor – DPS Electrical and Hensall Mechanical
• Project Duration: 48 weeks
• Project Value: £10 million fit out (excluding client items)
Aura Technical Services was employed by Phelan Construction to manage their technical sub-contractors including mechanical, electrical, sprinkler and catering specialists. We were employed from the construction stage through to the commissioning and client training stage.
Detailed responsibilities included:
• Co-ordination of technical sub-contractors with the main contractor’s builder’s works
• Co-ordination and liaison with the new Landlord’s development and their main/M&E sub-contractors
• Ensuring the M&E consultant’s performance design package is understood and conformed to
• Co-ordination of the main contractor’s technical sub-contractors with the client’s specialist (CCTV, security, IT, Audio Visual, lighting design specialist, beer and soft drinks suppliers/installers)
• Liaison with statutory authorities on behalf of the client
• Witness testing and commissioning of service
• Collate contractor related BREEAM documentation
• Review O&M manuals
• Liaise with building control’s fire officer and the client’s direct managers to ensure a smooth transaction
• Co-ordinate the interlinking of the tenant’s and landlord’s services
• Oversee the M&E programme in line with the overall construction programme